Bean-and-winter Squash Chili RecipeTagged in Vegetables
* MAKES 6 TO 8 SERVINGS. VEGAN
* This stick-to-your ribs chili explodes the myth that vegetarian food leaves one feeling hungry.
* In a large saucepan, combine 15-bean mixture and water: bring to a simmer.
* Cook uncovered over medium-Low heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Drain; reserve 3 cups cooking liquid.
* In another large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic; saute 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in cooked beans, cooking liquid, squash, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Cook 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
* Ladle chili into bowls. Serve with warm French or Italian bread if desired.
* Makes 6 to 8 servings.
* NOTE: 15-bean mixtures are available packaged in supermarkets and health food stores. If you prefer, make your own by combining equal amounts dried black-eyed peas, red kidney beans, white kidney (cannellini) beans, green lentils, split peas, black beans, yellow split peas, navy beans, cranberry
* (Roman, shell or shell- out) beans, great Northern beans, pinto beans, small white limas. red lentils, cow peas (field peas) and pink beans. Avoid using beans such as garbanzos and large lima beans, as these take longer to cook than other varieties.
- 1 cup fifteen bean mixture
- overnight and drained
- (see note)
- 7 cup water
- 1 tbl canola oil
- 1 lrg red onion
- 1 lrg green or red bell pepper
- seeded and diced
- 2 stalk celery
- 2 x cloves garlic
- minced (2 to 3)
- 2 cup peeled and diced butternut squash
- 15 oz canned stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbl dried oregano
- 1 tbl chili powder
- up to 2
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
+ Add Comment or Review
Suppose you had to eat either chicken or beef for the rest of your life. Which would you choose?
Way to go!
Insert the HTML code below into your blog or website to proudly display your achievement.