Classic Chicken Gumbo RecipeTagged in Chicken
1. In large Dutch oven, melt shortening over low heat; add flour and cook, stirring, until brown, about 10 minutes (do not hurry; if flour burns, roux is ruined).
2. Add onions and bell pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Slowly add warm broth; stir until broth reaches a boil.
4. Add tomatoes, okra, rice, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
5. Add chicken; when mixture boils again, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes.
6. Stir and cook, covered, 20 minutes longer.
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup Uncooked rice
- 2 tablespoons Flour -- all-purpose
- 2 Ribs celery -- chopped
- 2 Onions -- finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Green bell pepper -- fine chop
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 5 cups Warm chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme
- 8 Tomatoes -- peeled/chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1/2 pound Okra -- cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1 Broiler-fryer chicken -- cooked
+ Add Comment or Review
Suppose you had to eat either chicken or beef for the rest of your life. Which would you choose?
Way to go!
Insert the HTML code below into your blog or website to proudly display your achievement.