Nutrition Packed Veggie Soup RecipeTagged in Vegetarian
I make this soup about once a week
during the cold months when the
produce selection here is not so
great. The nutrition packed into this
super hardy soup is hard to beat! Get
out your big soup pot!
Bring Vegetable Stock to a boil in
large soup/stock pot. Stir in Brown
Rice, and turn heat to med / med-high
(you're going for a simmer / slow
boil). Stir in tomatoes (dump juice
in along with them), corn, kidney
beans, and the veggies you've chosen
(don't be stingy!). Now stir in the
nutritional ueast, and textured soy protein.
Evaluate the amount of veg. stock in
the soup - if you want it to be
thinner add some water (1 Cup at a
time). The soup will thicken
Now the fun part! Throw in the Bay
Leaves. Peel and mince / press the
garlic and stir in. Add the dry
spices, and let simmer for a few
minutes - then taste broth add more
spices if it needs some more oomph.
You may need to add salt - if so, do
it slowly, trying a little broth after
each addition. Soup is ready when
rice and any root veg. chunks you may
have added are fully cooked.
Hope you enjoy!
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels (drain if canned)
- 2 cups kidney beans (drain & rinse if canned)
- 1 cup of any or all of these: chopped carrots
- chopped potatoes
- green beans
- chick peas
- celery - use your imagination!
- 1/2 to 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup textured soy protein
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon each: rosemary
- 2 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
+ Add Comment or Review
Suppose you had to eat either chicken or beef for the rest of your life. Which would you choose?
Way to go!
Insert the HTML code below into your blog or website to proudly display your achievement.